Sunday, July 22, 2012

[PONDERS_INTERNATIONAL] Re: Tip of the Week

 

Just want to thank You whicn I forgot to do in my message.
I will take your advise and have the rainwater tested,
You have convinced me that I must use charcoal in my rainbarrels.
Maybe about 4-6" of charcoal held in place with a similar layer of limestone.
I think I will test this with a single rainbarrel and see what is left in the water by testing.My wife want to use the water as well for watering the vegetable etc (organic gardening) so we do not need any harmful chemicals in the water.
I had planned planting reeds and rushes as I have done in some industrial settling ponds to clean/polish effluent from mining and pulp and paper before it is discharged into the local water course.
These plants can trap and lock in some of the heavy metals and alike.
However I am anxious to complete my new pond. I still go and visit my old neighbours just to get a glance at my old pond which still seems to be working well. I guess that they followed my instruction for keeping it trouble free.
RayI

--- In PONDERS_INTERNATIONAL@yahoogroups.com, "**Shadow**" <Shadow@...> wrote:
>
> I hope it's OK to weigh in on this issue. I live just west of the west end
> of Lake Erie and like you when it rain's the wind comes mostly from the east
> and north east, but you have to remember that the rain fall is from farther
> west and comes across all the industrial states. That's why the problem with
> acid rain killing forest's mainly out along the NE coast. The rain gathered
> from roof's pick's up molecules of chemical's to produce the roofing
> material. As a retired long time truck driver, I have hauled some of the
> stuff that goes into making things like roofing material and some of that
> stuff was pretty nasty, so I had to wear protective clothing when around it.
> Water that comes off the roof maybe fine to water your house plants and
> flower beds with, but I sure don't want to drink it or use it in a pond with
> fish. If your pond was just for a water garden, then fine. I'm no chemist so
> can't tell you exactly how and what reaches into any rain barrel's.
>
> People prepared to do survival would catch rain with tarp's and then use
> iodine before drinking it. It tastes awful in my opinion. What I do is run
> water through filters like a special porous ceramic before using it to drink
> or cook or would use iodine to kill off any microscopic bugs in it that
> could make a human sick and die. I have such a set up, but it would not
> remove 100% of the chemical's in water that would pass through the filters
> and the filters are very expensive. They can only last just so long before
> you have to replace them. The one's I have (4 of them) are about 2 foot tall
> and have charcoal in the middle which the water has to filter through before
> it goes down in the bottom of the collector. Mine looks like a huge coffee
> maker like you see in catered affairs. It holds 2 1/2 gallons on the top
> where the filters are and the water go's into the 3 gallon capacity bottom
> and is all gravity fed. But it's not designed to filter water for a fish
> pond.
>
> Something you could do is collect a sample and take it to the county
> extension center or health department in your county (in the US) and have it
> tested or contact a local lab (probably listed in the phone book) to have
> the raw water sample tested. They can break it down and tell you what's in
> the water and will give you a recommendation as to what you need to do to
> treat it. But beware because they might give you an expensive list of what
> to do about it. Or they'll tell you to cap your well because the water is
> not fit for use.
>
> Just my my humble opinion -- Shadow
>
> -------Original Message-------
>
> From: Raymond I
> Date: 7/14/2012 1:55:54 PM
> To: PONDERS_INTERNATIONAL@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [PONDERS_INTERNATIONAL] Re: Tip of the Week
>
>
> Dr Mann,
> I was thinking of using a couple of the poly rainbarrells like those
> available at Canadian Tire, Home Depot. I was going to use standard rib
> reinforced pipe used for the rest of the pond piping needs buried in the
> landscape and at the lowest pond level mount a float valve set at required
> pond level.
> I believe you can buy a unit that is like an open ended tank that could be
> covered with some form of disguise. Statue, Planter, Stone,etc.
> I live less than a 1/4 mile from North coast of Lake Ontario.
> My concern on the quality of the water is somewhat eased by this closeness
> to the lake as a fair portion of our rainfall is driven by the lake itself.
> I was thiking placing some form of media in the Rainbarrels both to
> neutralize acid in the rain and to provide weight on windy days when Barrels
> are empty. I was thinking of using 2" clear limestone which I would wash
> throughly before using to remove dust and dirt. Would you have any feelings
> as to this as a suitable
> media to remove acid? Something that may do a better job.
> Thank You
> RayI
>
> --- In PONDERS_INTERNATIONAL@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Mann" <grm.phd@>
> wrote:
> >
> > I have never heard of anyone using that procedure but it might work. I
> would however, double-check the container and drain pipes for nasty elements
> and I might wonder what kind of material washes off the roof as well.
> >
> > Like I said, it sounds logical and a good idea, but I would be on the side
> of safety by making sure that the water adding is safe from chemicals and
> such.
> >
> > Hopefully other members will be adding their thoughts to this question!
> >
> > --- In PONDERS_INTERNATIONAL@yahoogroups.com, "Raymond I" <rasta_rayi@>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Dr Mann
> > > What are your thoughts on using Rainwater from Rainbarrel collected from
> the Roof???
> > > RayI
> > >
> > > --- In PONDERS_INTERNATIONAL@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Mann" <grm.phd@>
> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > The heat of the summer means more pond water lost to evaporation. Keep
> an eye on this to top off as needed. Remember to always add a dechlorinator
> when adding water to a pond with fish. Any amount of chlorine can be harmful
> Small amounts don't mean imminent death, but can still reduce proper gill
> function.
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Mister Colibri Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario